Sadly, the flower we have come to associate with the spring season, the Lily, can pose a serious danger to your cat or dog.
PeachTree Hills Animal Hospital

Not all lilies are dangerous, and it’s important to know the difference.   The following lilies are HIGHLY TOXIC to cats and dogs!  Even small ingestions of the petals, leaves or even the pollen and water that collects in their container can result in severe, acute kidney failure.  Also, dogs who dig up lily tubers can be harmed.

The more dangerous, potentially fatal lilies are true lilies of the Lilium or Hemerocallis species. Examples of some of these dangerous lilies include the following:

  • Easter lilies
  • Star lilies
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Glory lilies
  • Tiger lilies
  • Day lilies
  • Asiatic hybrid lilies
  • Japanese show lilies
  • Rubrum lilies
  • Stargazer lilies
  • Red lilies
  • Western lilies
  • Wood lilies

If your dog or cat has ingested a dangerous amount of lily, they may present with vomiting, foaming at the mouth, hiding, distress or difficulty breathing.  Immediate treatment for poisoning from a true lily is essential, so if you suspect lily toxicity, please bring your pet and a portion of the plant to us right away.

While not completely harmless, the following lilies pose less threat to a cat:

  • Peace lilies
  • Peruvian lilies
  • Calla lilies
  • Rain Lilies
  • Crinum Lilies

However, these “benign” type of lilies can cause minor symptoms including tissue irritation to the mouth, tongue, pharynx, and esophagus.  If your cat eats a benign lily, have them flush out their mouth with something appetizing such as broth and call us if symptoms persist.

Enjoy the beauty of springtime, but with caution!